Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Palace of Versailles

On my second day in Paris, I got to go to one of the most historic and amazing places in the world - Versailles. I don't plan to bore you with the details of the palace, but it is still one of the most impressive pieces of architecture I've ever seen. It, like the Louvre is an all day experience, mostly because of the insane crowds.

There was one slightly ENORMOUS problem with visiting the palace when I did. Through the most important part of the place were some of the most horrific works of art by a modern artist. I won't say his name because I don't wish to promote his work or the defiling of this trip I've wanted since high school.

Of course, no stay in Montmartre would be complete without an evening stroll through Paris' red light district to go see the famous (infamous?) Moulin Rouge. At 185 Euros to get in, just seeing the outside was fine with me.

Real train musicians. Pretty good too.


The beautiful Palace of Versailles




The ceiling of the Grand Hall. It's also the world's largest painting.


Louis XIV put in the Grand Canal. He used to put warships on it and challenge other countries to try to shoot them down (or so the audio tour claimed).


The Hall of Mirrors.


In a hall full of mirrors, how do you not take a picture of yourself in the mirror?


The back of the palace at nightfall.


The Moulin Rouge.

So, you remember the atrocities I mentioned about the King's quarters in the palace? Here's a taste of how inappropriate it was. Maybe it wouldn't be so bad in a gallery, but seriously... come on.


Atrocity #1


Atrocity #2


Atrocity #4 (really? Michael Jackson and Bubbles)


Atrocity # 7 - This one was right in the middle of the Hall of Mirrors.


Atrocity #8 (yes it's the Pink Panther molesting Marilyn Monroe)

There were several more, but I couldn't justify publicizing this guy's "art" any more than I have.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I simply wanted to thank you very much

once again. I do not know

[url=http://www.cheapoksunglassesoutlet.com]oakley sunglasses cheap[/url] the things that I might have accomplished without the actual advice

documented by you

over this subject matter.[url=http://www.cheapoksunglassesoutlet.com]cheap oakley sunglasses[/url] ,It

actually was a very frightening circumstance for me personally, however ,

understanding the very oakley outlet skilled oakley outlet

fashion you

handled that

took me to jump with joy. Now i am thankful for this

help and in addition hope you are aware of a powerful

job you are getting into instructing the mediocre ones

by way of your web site. I know that you have never got to know all of us.